Saturday 6 January 2018

Farewell 2017. | Lifestyle.

As I sit here and think back over the year and what I have accomplished, I can't help but have a smile on my face. Many people have shared posts on social media on why their year was amazing, or in some cases maybe not their best year. It can be difficult at times not to focus on the negatives and what we didn't achieve. All I saw throughout the year were people my age or younger getting engaged, buying houses, having children etc and it's so easy to get caught up in comparing our lives to that of others. But despite all of that, I have had a wonderful year filled with many amazing memories and resolutions I managed to attain!

So, here are a few key moments that have made my year one of the most smooth sailings yet. I wanted to write this post because I love to appreciate these moments especially in times of need. It's far too easy to focus on what we don't have and it's good to be reminded of the positives as well as set new goals.

Here are a few key moments of 2017.


  • Entering the New Year with my family. On January, 1st Alex and I, embarked on the 8-hour car journey to Paisley, Scotland to stay with my mum and her partner Mark. We left at 4am and en route picked up my brother. Upon arriving we had tea and opened all the Christmas presents. It was a truly wonderful second Christmas and we stayed there for the entire first week of January. I never felt more relaxed and it was just what I needed after a hectic few weeks at work.
  • Starting my new job! I worked incredibly hard to get the position of Visual Merchandiser at House of Fraser. I was convinced there was no way I would get the position but I managed to bag it after all. One of my New Year's resolutions was to get to the end of 2017 on a better paid, career that I loved, and I managed to do just that!
  • All the opportunities my job has presented to me throughout the year. My third day on the job I was off to the Oxford Street store to support with the set up of model store. I felt completely out of my depth but I got through it. Other amazing opportunities including, setting up the A/W press show in Soho. I got to dress the sets and work with the buyers/PR team. What an experience. It made me realise that I love set dressing and it's something I would love to explore. I also went off to the Croydon store for 3 days to help with a massive move on the home department. It was a great way to meet new people and work with the Area Visual Manager.
  • Celebrating mine and Alex's 8 year anniversary by going to Brighton for a long weekend. We love to explore new cities and much prefer memories over material items. We'd never been before and we stayed in the cosiest cottage too! It was honestly the best weekend.
  • Edinburgh, Dartmouth, Dubrovnik and Glasgow. Lush holidays and new adventures with my best friend. I love to travel with you. A highlight for me definitely- trying a deep fried mars bar in Edinburgh- it was so good!
  • Citadel Festival. Alex and I hadn't been to a festival in too long and we love our music. This was the perfect festival for sun, music, drink and fun. 
  • Buying our first car together! I was incredibly blessed to be given a car by my grandmother back in 2016 but sadly there was a possibility that she might fail the MOT. We had to make the hardest decision to part exchange for a new car. So, although I was devastated to say goodbye to our beloved Ford Focus (you gave us a wonderful year with amazing memories), I was so happy to welcome Taco- The white VW, Polo GT into our lives.
  • Getting Invisalign. I spent years living with the insecurity of my teeth. For the last 5 years, I kept toying with the idea of getting Invisalign but it was incredibly expensive. When my dentist told me my cross-bite would give me future issues I knew it was time to finally take the plunge. One of my biggest insecurities and now I finally got my Invisalign- a dream come true! I'm currently on tray 10 of 21 and I can already see the difference.
  • Watching my baby brother's RAF passing out parade. One of, if not the proudest moment of 2017! I cried like a baby which took me by absolute surprise but it was such a heartwarming moment. So proud.
  • Celebrating my 25th birthday. I had such a wonderful day. I had breakfast in bed, I was very spoiled, taken to afternoon tea, spent the evening watching fireworks, followed with a week up in Scotland staying with my mum and Mark. Another wonderful week spent up there.
  • Another heavenly December. Secret Santa's, advent calendars, endless amount of film watching, London trips, consuming a lifetimes worth of food, baking, mulled wine, present hunting, wrapping,  present swapping and all of the fizz.
  • Lastly, my lovely family visiting over New Year. My Mum and Mark came down on the 29th which saw us all going to my brother's, girlfriends family home for a lovely evening of nibbles. The 30th, saw my parents and my brother come over for dinner with Alex and his parents. The 31st- Myself, my brother, his partner (Katie) and Alex all went to my parents Airbnb to open presents, play game upon game and have all the laughs before going to dinner at Cote in Farnham for a wonderful meal.
So, it's goodbye to 2017 and hello to 2018. It's been a wonderful year and I am determined for this year to be just as great and successful! 
I am determined to reach the end of 2018 a confident driver, further my career- perhaps take up studying (maybe Interior Design) and continue to save money toward buying our first house. However, if it doesn't happen or things take a different turn I do have these things to look forward to - a week in Iceland, celebrating 9 years with Alex and visiting faraway family over the summer.

I hope you have had the most wonderful year and 2018 brings you all the happiness you deserve.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment