Sunday 11 September 2016

Natural Deodorants | Review.



Now, this isn't going to be the most glamorous blog post but it's something I wanted to address because I'm forever harping on at the people around me about the importance of using natural deodorant. 

Back in 2014 I made the decision to switch from conventional, branded deodorants to more of a natural approach. I have always been a health fanatic and one day I thought about all the healthy, natural goodness I put into my body so why wasn't I doing the same for the outer part. Even today two years later I am still looking at different ways I can take more of a natural approach to my beauty products. 

Although there is no proof that commercial deodorants damage your skin I personally feel that in some respect conventional deodorant isn't 'normal'. There has been research done into the link between deodorant and cancer and sure there is no proven link and we can't blame these products with no proof but just think of the fumes going into your lungs when you spray them, not to mention the damage to the environment. Also just have a think about the term 'antiperspirant'. The way I read it is that it's essentially stopping you from sweating. Yes, blocking the pores under your arm to prevent sweat from coming out. Sweat is a very natural bodily function why would you want to smother your under arm in something that will prevent you from perspiring. Anyway, controversial topic so I won't waffle on.

Often people ask me questions like, what do they smell like, do they work and do they stop you from having an odor as lets face it, general deodorant's will simply mask any odor. So, I thought I would answer these questions based on the different natural deodorants I have used as I have tried four different ones.

Ultimately my main goal when looking for a deodorant is that I am still able to perspire while reducing any odor. 

1. Faith in Nature Unscented Crystal Stick Body Deodorant 100g £3.85. 

This was the first ever natural deodorant I purchased back in 2014.  I continued to use it up until this year so I have used it solidly for two years. This one is great because it lasts so damn long! And I literally mean so long. The first one I bought lasted just under a year but I dropped it and it smashed. In the two years I've used it I only ever purchased 3 which when you think about it is a lot of money saved! The downside is that they do smash when dropped. On the plus side this was and is my favourite natural deodorant to date however I had to stop using it because it started causing an irritation under both my arms (I will be giving it a second chance after a long break). The ingredients are Ammonium Alum which is natural salt. You simply run it under some water and then roll it on. It is a little strange for a deodorant application but you soon get used to it. I applied this twice a day and I had no issues with odor.
At £3.85 it is slightly more expensive than usual deodorants however like I said it literally lasted nigh on a year!

From - Faith in Nature or Amazon 

Price - £3.85
*2017 update*. I have been using this deodorant again once a day after showering. No issues with a rash anymore and again my love is restored!


2. Green People Natural Aloe Vera Deodorant 75ml £8.95.

This is the second natural deodorant I have tried which I purchased this year. I have to say it is currently my least favourite. This one applies like a normal deodorant so it's great in that respect however I found with this one it smelt a little funny and it did not prevent odor. In all fairness I have been using it during summer and boy have we had some very hot days however the crystal stick did prevent odor. This one is also very expensive! For £8.95 I don't think it is worth it and again I found I did get irritation under both my arms despite it claiming to be non-irritant. It claims to be 89% natural however the ingredients list is miles long which doesn't bode well with me either. The smell, the ingredients list, the lack of effectiveness and the price are enough to stop me repurchasing this product.

From - Waitrose or Green People or Amazon

Price - Varies depending where you purchase. Between £7-95 and £9.50.


3. Weleda Citrus Deodorant 100ml £8.95.

Discovering I disliked the Green People deodorant I purchased this one next within in a few weeks while I was in Waitrose. This one is a little odd because of the spray. The smell is divine and sometimes reminds me of a Gin&Tonic! At the moment I'm really enjoying it - I apply it twice a day usually 3 sprays per arm. Seems to be doing the job and I've had no irritation which I genuinely thought I might do! I would recommend this one to anyone looking for a spray rather than a roll on.
*1 month update - I find this deodorant not very effective in neutralizing odor so I wouldn't recommend it. I found myself having to take it with me every where to constantly use it which meant that it lasted for less than if not just one month. For the price, it doesn't last long and doesn't work very well. More of a mask for when you have odor.

From - Holland & Barrett or Amazon

Price - £8.95



4. Dr.Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Deodorant 50g £5.79.

Now, this one I actually enjoyed so much so I repurchased it another 3 times. The smell is lovely, not overpowering yet there is a subtle coconut smell. I can't say it prevented odor THAT well but it did keep you smelling nice (nice because the term 'fresh' doesn't fit). I repurchased it because it didn't cause me any irritation and I was enjoying it more than any of the others until I was to start using my Faith in Nature crystal stick again. The only downside is you don't get much product for your money and it runs out quickly. I would recommend it but bare in mind you might still get odor. 

From - Holland & Barratt

Price - £5.79

No comments:

Post a Comment