Monday 28 August 2017

My Current Skin Care Routine And Regime | Beauty.


Happpppy bank holiday guys! Hope you've all had a good one- I certainly have as the sun has FINALLY been shining for us. I've just sat down on the sofa with a coffee after a 10.1-mile bike ride so I'm feeling super relaxed.

Now, before I get into my skincare routine you should know that I'm extremely picky when it comes to the products that I use because for many many years I have suffered from acne. It started when I was around 13 and still to this day does it plague me. My skin type is oily/combination/prone to breakouts.

I have used everything under the sun let me tell you, from extreme drying products to very delicate organic products such as Manuka honey followed by Jojoba oil. I've been on two or three different antibiotics as well as Roaccutane. Needless to say, I've never really figured out what works for me because my skin is always breaking out randomly, and a lot of the time I have no idea why. I can have very clear patches where nothing in my diet or skincare changes but then it'll go crazy and then calm down again... I just don't know.

The clearest my skin has ever been was when I was travelling last year. My partner and I were gone for four months and because I wore absolutely no makeup, and used very simple products, my skin cleared up. Mainly this was so that I was carrying as little as possible at all times. I think all I was using was Garnier Micellar water, followed with a cream cleanser, a sensitive skin toner and a sensitive face cream. The brand I'm sure I was using was the Boot's Botanics range for sensitive skin which is now discontinued. My skin was the clearest I have ever seen it!! Even the really super pigmented scars were finally fading (my skin does scar incredibly quickly). I put this down to a very simple product routine, no makeup and sunshine. When I came back I got myself a job and I was back to using makeup. Ohhh what a mistake. My skin erupted and because it was so bad I wanted to buy whatever I could get my hands on to clear it. I came across Kiehl's which I'm not going to get in to but I used two of their face washes and a toner. My skin cleared up briefly before going crazy again. The products were just too drying which my face does not like.


My skin was just not clearing up and it was getting worse especially with all the pigmentation forming. Enough was enough so I decided to completely strip back my skincare and use very simple, kind to skin products. That is when I discovered Avene. I used one of their face washes, the Cleanance Gel (for oily/blemish prone skin) and the Tolerance Moisturiser (for sensitive skin). A very simple routine consisting of one cleanser and one moisturiser. Although for the most part, this did sort my skin out I started finding the gel cleanser very drying and the moisturiser too heavy. My skin was being stripped of all oils and then being drenched with a too heavy moisturiser.

I went to see a Dermatologist who was one of the most awful people I have ever encountered and all she wanted me to do was go on Roaccutane, which I specifically said I didn't want to do. She essentially couldn't help me and definitely needs to reconsider her profession. One thing I did take from her was to use a gel face moisturiser, specifically Clinique as it's very light and doesn't drown the skin in moisture. 

It was also around the time I discovered Caroline Hirons through Anna Saccone-Joly, whose skin had cleared up beautifully. I decided to take a gamble and purchased the Pixi + Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse. While using this cleanser, I was using a sample of the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel. The two in combination with each other soothed my skin and stopped any more acne from breaking out. I found the cleanser really effective in removing everything, keeping my skin soothed and because I was using a face cloth it also kept my skin exfoliated. I think with oily skin you need to keep it exfoliated because it's producing so much oil, but then over exfoliating with harsh products tends to dry the skin out, which is a massive no-no as this produces more acne. I very quickly then purchased a full-size bottle of the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel which has lasted me forever!
I was seriously loving this new routine I had and reading Caroline Hirons blog daily got me on to looking into acids. I decided to purchase the Pixi Glow Tonic as every woman and her auntie uses it. I do really love this stuff and you can really feel it closing up any open acne from having washed my face. I never ever pick acne as I find the best solution is using a warm cloth to cleanse as this usually softens the spot and removes the head for me. 
Finally, the other two item's I have since acquired in my routine is the Boot's Botanic's face cleanser. This stuff is really delicate, doesn't irritate my skin and it's a great alternative to when I'm not using the Double Cleanse. I also mostly use it in the mornings however when I'm having a no makeup day then I will use the Botanics instead of the Double Cleanse.
Something else I have added into my routine is the Vichy Normaderm Night Detox. Whether this actually works I'm unsure of however I have realised I do not wake up with any new acne, so in my books, I definitely think it must be doing something. I was considering whether or not to repurchase it but I think for now I definitely will. On a side note, all these products last for ages!! The only product I've repurchased is the Double Cleanse- I think I'm on my third tub!
Although my skin is still not as clear as it was when we were travelling it's a lot better than it has been in for a long time. As well as completely renovating my skincare routine I have also completely changed up all the makeup I use which will be in another blog post.


MY MORNING ROUTINE:
-Botanics Organic Softening Cleanser 82% Organic - smooth all over face and remove with hot cloth.
-Apply one pump of Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel.
*If I'm going to be outside I will also follow with Heliocare Gel SPF50. This doesn't break me out and it's very easily absorbed.*


MY EVENING ROUTINE:
-Pixi + Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse. Cleanse with the oil to remove all makeup and SPF. Remove then follow with the cream. Remove again with a clean hot cloth.
-Buff Pixi Glow Tonic on with a cotton pad.
-Apply Vichy Normaderm Night Detox. 

Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions for me please leave them down below. I hope this has been helpful to anyone suffering like myself or just interesting to find out more about these products.

Sade xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment