Saturday 11 March 2017

Niomi Smart's 'Eat Smart' Cookbook | Review.


We are all too familiar with the growing craze of veganism with health shops, restaurants and stores popping up left, right and centre and one of those to jump on the bandwagon being Miss Niomi Smart. Around the time she started her YouTube channel she herself decided to take on a healthier lifestyle although she does not claim to be vegan but 'plant-based'. Keep reading to find out what I think of Eat Smart...

A lot of my blog posts as you may have noticed are very much more on the beauty and travel side of things but if there is one thing I am a huge fan of its food.. but not just any food, healthy food! I can become a little obsessed when it comes to what I put into my body but I struggled for inspiration always resorting to salads and smoothies.

As you've seen over the past months how I have been changing up my current beauty products for more organic, cruelty-free, vegan products slowly but surely the same is applying to my diet. Now, I won't beat around the bush I am by no means a vegan and I have to say in the words of Niomi more so 'plant-based'. I am a huge lover of fish and I do believe that we as humans do need the nutrients found in meat (not processed!). You could call my diet 80/20 where I try to eat at least 80% plant-based food and 20% indulgent not so plant-based food. My body image mentality is not one of 'I need to be thin' or 'I need abs' but that of am I healthy and is my body thriving on what I'm putting into it. I was beyond excited when Niomi announced she was going to be bringing out a cookbook as I found her YouTube videos to be limiting when she mentioned the foods she ate.

My lovely grandma bought me the book for my 24th birthday and since then I have been slowly making different recipes from within the book. I have come to find that all the recipes call for rather obscure ingredients which she has been slated for on review sites. I can understand why some people may be annoyed by having to go out and purchase a whole new kitchen of bits that don't come cheap however I must say that with a lot of her recipes once you've bought for one another recipe requires the same ingredients. So, although at first, it might cost a lot once you have most ingredients you are able to make more than 1 recipe. Personally, as a working adult, I haven't found it very expensive but I can see why if you're below the age of 15 it could be irritating and costly for your parents. However, you could always spread the cost by making bits here and there over time.


Since having had the book I have made the Mixed Fruit & Nut Granola (more than once, I keep a constant supply in the cupboard). I absolutely love this recipe but what I love most is knowing exactly what is in the mix. It is really tasty and delicious and I totally recommend it. The only thing Niomi fails to mention in the book is to stir the granola during cooking. I would definitely recommend stirring at least every 10 minutes otherwise the granola sticks like mad to the baking tray and is an absolute nightmare to remove.

Second up is the Lemon Coconut Bliss Energy Balls. I have made these twice and what I do with these is have them as an after-work snack. They're filling to the point where you're no longer hungry but not too full for dinner. They are really delicious and for someone who isn't keen on lemon, it's not at all too overpowering- love!

Thirdly the Acai Smoothie Bowl- For years now I have been wanting to try an Acai bowl but I've never had the chance and they're quite expensive. This recipe was definitely on my list to try. I now have this recipe every Saturday morning for breakfast. It's like a ritual for me because I look forward to it every time! It's so easy to make and beyond delicious- it's like eating pudding for breakfast- I love it love it love it.

Banana Bread Porridge. For some reason, I've only made this once but it is actually really yummy. It just adds a little something extra to what could be quite boring porridge in the morning. If you're someone who wants to eat well in the morning but finds porridge bland definitely give this a go!

Superpower Energy Balls. I have made this recipe three times now. It definitely has to be my favourite of the energy balls. They are so incredibly moreish and again I have these for after work to fill the gap until dinner. I love the ingredients super healthy and just so darn yummy!

Pecan + Date Biscuits. I've made these once and I have to say as nice as they are they're my least favourite. I still enjoyed them and most likely would make them again but they weren't as...addictive as some of the other recipes. For some reason, they went off quite quickly too! Maybe they needed to be refrigerated but who knows. 

Coconut pancakes with a mango sauce. Oh my God now this recipe I could make always and forever. I actually wanted this recipe to be my Sunday breakfast ritual however it can be costly for sure but also I didn't want to get sick of them. I would 100% recommend this recipe. I have made vegan pancakes before but found them to taste like rubbery banana flavoured oats. THESE, however, are absolutely tasty and the topping of mango sauce just takes it out of this world. LOVE!

Macaroni 'Cheese' with Roasted Tomatoes. Now, this was something I definitely had to get my head around. The texture and taste is rather confusing because it's like a sweet but salty taste. However, once I got my head around the fact it's not really macaroni cheese but essentially purée butternut squash I did start to enjoy it. I think when you're making this obviously don't expect it to be the pinnacle of mac&cheese. See it as something unique of its own and you'll really enjoy it like I did. I'm by no means saying I was expecting mac&cheese but it definitely took a few mouthfuls before I thought actually this is really nice! My boyfriend and his parents all enjoyed it too so what a bonus! Will definitely make again!

Mixed Fruit & Nut Granola. 
Lemon Coconut Bliss Energy Balls


Acai bowl - My toppings always vary!


Banana Bread Porridge

Superpower Energy Balls

Macaroni 'Cheese' with Roasted Tomatoes

Pecan + Date Biscuits

Coconut pancakes with a mango sauce-Divine!!!

I would definitely recommend this book if you're someone who wants to start eating well but struggle for inspiration as the recipes are so yummy!
Next on my to try list are definitely the Maple Matcha Latte, Pecan Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce and Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment