Monday 12 December 2016

How I Get Into The Christmas Spirit! | Lifestyle.

I bloody love Christmas and I don't just mean December 25th I mean literally the entire build up. If there is one thing I love doing it's getting into the spirit. I feel like it's very easy to not feel Christmassy especially when you're working and there's a lot going on. Even I have found it difficult in the past to get into the mood where I am just so excited. But I refuse to ever let a year go wasted. So these are what I do to get myself into the spirit and I usually start mid-November (once my birthday and bonfire have passed).


Firstly- hot drinks!! More specific hot chocolate. Now, I am not the biggest lover of chocolate let alone hot chocolate but sometimes there is just the odd night where I have a craving for it. I tend to prefer eating non dairy vegan chocolate but this can be expensive. So, my next alternative is hot chocolate. It fills the craving but this recipe I have is a lot healthier and best of all vegan!

You will need: Serves 1

Cacoa powder- "This is the pure cacao, before the nutrients have been destroyed by the heating process used to produce cocoa. Slightly bitter, it is the healthier, guilt-free chocolate alternative."

Method: 
1. In a bowl mix together the sugar, cacoa powder, cornflour and salt.
2. Next, in a saucepan heat up the almond milk and vanilla essence until warm.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk to your cacoa powder mixture and mix until smooth.
4. Then, pour the cacoa mixture into the milk pan and thoroughly mix. Bring to the boil for 5 minutes- this will create a creamy texture.

Secondly- Bedroom decor!!
So, my personal taste when it comes to decor is minimal is best. I prefer subtle hints of Christmas to the room so this year I have purchased some pretty mini bunting which I have strung along the book shelf. This bunting was very cheap I bought it off eBay or you could make your own! Next thing I do which is incredibly cheap (although you can buy them pre-made ) is fill a jar with holly. I got my jar from Sainsbury's, it's just a Kilner glass jar and I got my holly from the garden. You can also add in red berries and pine cones. I have neither of these although I may toward Christmas find myself adding some in. 
I also picked up this beautiful red tartan bedding from Amazon by Catherine Lansfield. It's such a soft fabric and so cosy. 
I was also given some coasters for our water glasses which is a simple and lovely touch.
The ultimate decoration for Christmas is candles! I got all of mine from Sainsbury's which are currently on special offer. I also picked one up from Caliope. When you light all of them the room smells incredible and I will without a doubt be lighting the candles every evening leading up to Christmas. The room becomes such a cosy haven.


Thirdly- My Top Christmas Films!
Nothing!!! Nothing beats Christmas films to get you into the spirit. I usually try to watch a Christmas film a day from the 1st of December up until the 25st. Doesn't always quite happen but I do get through my entire selection.
From left to right: Bridget Jones's Diary (a classic), 101+102 Dalmatians(this film always makes me feel cosy and Christmassy), Home Alone 1, Love Actually, The Grinch, Four Christmases, Elf, The Santa Clause 1,2 and 3, Christmas with the Kranks and Fred Clause. You could also add in Mean Girls which is another favourite of mine. This list will at least take you from the 11th-24th of December. 

Christmas music of course is always the way! I usually whack on my spotify Christmas album when I'm home or doing house work like changing bed sheets or cleaning our room. My favourites of course are Michael BublĂ©, Mariah Carey- All I want for Christmas is you (playing as I write this), The Pogues- Fairytale of New York, It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas- Johnny Mathis ... to be honest I'll be here forever if I write down every single favourite.

Number 4- Mince pies!!
I love mince pies but I'm rather particular nothing fancy and definitely nothing alcoholic. I love plain and simple mince pies. For the past 2-3 years now I have reused the same recipe over and over again because it's honestly the most delicious one I have found. It's very easy and simple to do and soooo yummy. This recipe I found on BBC good food.

You will need: makes 20*
  • 225g cold butter diced,
  • 350g plain flour,
  • 100g golden caster sugar,
  • 280g mincemeat,
  • 1 small egg,
  • icing sugar to dust (optional)
Method:
1.Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. 
2.To make the pastry, rub the 225g of cold diced butter with the 350g of plain flour. Then mix in the 100g golden caster sugar and add a pinch of salt. Combine the pastry into a ball and knead briefly. Should be fairly firm, like shortbread dough.
3.Line 20 holes of two 12 hole patty tins by pressing walnut-sized balls into each hole and then add in as much or as little mincemeat as you like into the pies. Alternatively, you can use a pastry cutter to cut to size.
4.Take slightly smaller balls of pastry and pat them between your hands to create lids for the mince pies. Gently seal the edges.
5.Beat 1 small egg and brush the tops of the pies. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar.


Number 5 - Lush baths!
Baths for me are definitely a winter thing which is why they always feel Christmassy especially Lush baths. There's just something about running your hot bath and placing in a lush bath bomb. They always smell incredible and leave your skin so smooth. I find the perfect way to de-stress on a Friday night after a week of work is to run a bath, place in a bath bomb and read a book.

Number 6 being Mulled wine!!
I'm not a huge lover of alcohol let alone wine however I do love mulled wine! It's just Christmas in a cup and I always make sure to grab some at Christmas markets. We like to make our own because anything home made is always better.

You will need:
  • A bottle of red wine
  • 2 Sliced lemons
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/2 a cup of sugar (add more or less to taste)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 cloves
Method:
Boil together the water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon for 5 minutes. Leave to stand for 10 minutes having added the sliced lemons. Finally add the bottle of wine and heat very gently- do not boil.


I hope you have enjoyed this post and are feeling very Christmassy. It's definitely my favourite time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment